- This event has passed.
Rock Dam Construction in Tex Canyon – Chiricahua Mountains
March 24, 2018 @ 9:00 am - March 25, 2018 @ 3:00 pmFree
The Chiricahua Mountains have had multiple large fires in the past few years and subsequent monsoons have ravished the landscape. We have been asked to reconstruct a series of one-rock dams to slow down water runoff. Most of these dams have already been built, so we will be working to rebuild and in some areas add new ones.
No Experience is needed for this project. All training and guidance will be provided on site by AWC staff an FS personnel. We will be meeting and staying at the Rucker Canyon Administration site. There are bunks available inside the station, please bring your own bedding, there are beds, plenty for everyone. Also, there are working showers with hot water so bring a towel and feel free to freshen up after the work on Saturday!! AWC will be providing dinner for everyone on Saturday night!! Bring a camp chair as we will have a camp fire!!
· Day Pack to carry supplies on day hike (water, food, camera, etc.)
· Water — 2-3 liters/day.
· Food — Breakfast, lunch, snacks. AWC will provide dinner Saturday night.
· Eye Protection Glasses (sunglasses are ok)
· Long pants
· Sturdy, closed-toe shoes (NO SANDALS). Under our volunteer agreement with the Forest Service, you must wear closed-toe shoes or you will not be able to join us.
· Appropriate clothing. Warm layers for the evening. See weather link below to plan appropriately.
· Sun protection (sun screen, sunglasses, hat, etc.)
· Car Camping equipment: sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent/shelter, flashlight (batteries), plate/bowl, utensils, toiletries/toothbrush, first aid kit, other?
Rucker Administration Building Site
From Tucson, Arizona
1. Head east on Interstate 10 towards Wilcox, AZ
2. Take exit #318 on Dragoon Road
3. Turn right on Dragoon Road and head east to Dragoon Rd & Hwy 191 junction
4. At junction take a right turn and head south on Hwy 191 towards McNeal, AZ
5. ****Border Patrol Checkpoint*****
6. Make a left right after the Border Patrol Checkpoint on Rucker Canyon Road
7. Head east on Rucker Canyon road for approx. 14 miles until to reach U.S Forest Service Boundary
8. Once on U.S Forest Service land drive approx.2.1 miles til you reach the junction of Rucker Canyon Rd (FS 74E) and Tex Canyon Rd (FS 74)Make a left at junction (cross low water crossing) towards Camp Rucker Campground and drive approx. 0.6 miles to Rucker Admin Site entrance (First right off this road with a gate in front).