- This event has passed.
Wild AZ/Rucker Youth Conservation Corps
June 12, 2022 @ 8:00 am - July 23, 2022 @ 5:00 pm
Wild Arizona, in partnership with the Coronado National Forest’s Douglas Ranger District, is announcing its six-week summer residential Youth Conservation Corps program for 2022 and is seeking crew members.
Are you or your child a high school student who enjoys the outdoors and conservation and would like to get paid to work and live together with a crew of similarly aged people, camping and backpacking to remote areas in the Chiricahua Mountains of southeast Arizona and learning the skills required to maintain and repair hiking trails?
The YCC Program:
● Is a 6-week Residential program, from June 12 to July 23, 2022 – You must be available to stay on site for the duration of the program.
● Is supervised by male and female camp crew leaders and field crew leaders
● Will learn trail work and other recreation management skills, including the safe handling of primitive tools, and apply those skills to complete trail maintenance activities on Wilderness hiking trails
● Will live in large group tents at a Forest Service facility as well as individual tents in the field during the work week and take turns cooking group meals for the crew
● Develop teamwork and leadership skills
● Work alongside other high school students
● Learn practical outdoor skills
● Learn about local natural and human history
● Learn from Forest Service district staff about their different positions and future job opportunities with the agency
Compensation & Costs
Crew members will be compensated at the current Arizona state minimum wage rate at start of the program. The current rate is $12.80 per hour, for a maximum of 40 hours per week. Payroll is provided via direct deposit twice monthly. Food and housing while in the program are provided at no cost. All travel expenses to and from the Tucson International Airport (or Douglas Ranger District Office in Douglas, AZ if dropping off in person) from each crew member’s home will be the responsibility of the crew member and their family. All other travel during the 6-week program will be provided by Wild Arizona and the U.S. Forest Service.
Crew members are responsible for providing their own gear, including work clothing and camping equipment. For a full gear list, please visit https://www.wildarizona.org/ycc. If you are interested in participating and do not have some of the required equipment, please reach out to us about the possibility of borrowing gear.
More information and application available at https://www.wildarizona.org/ycc. Applications due April 15, 2022.